Sunday, April 28, 2013

Life in War

Life in the war for almost everyone means being jumpy, nervous, and on guard all the time. Clutching at our R-50 rifles just waiting for attack. If I told you I wasn't scared, I would definitely be bluffing. You never knew who to trust and knowing you could die any day took a physical and emotional toll on us all. But even though the war was difficult, demanding, and frightening, the worst part for me was going home. As a kid I was always so fascinated with World War Two and the hero's of that war. The soldiers would come home to pats on the back, and free drinks all around. But when me and my soldiers came home, because of protesters, all we were greeted with was glares. Some people would spit on us, curse at us, calling us baby-killers. We were not considered heroes, and only now, some thirty years later, do we get recognized.

No comments:

Post a Comment